You will be surrounded by views of the Castelli Romani.
FrascatiRoman times the area of Tusculum and Frascati were resorts to the most illustrious Roman families, often related with the papacy, they were built luxurious villas that surround the city. Frascati was originally a suburb of Tusculum, the name comes from the "branches" that covered the houses, only in 1508 the Prince Colonna and his wife Lucrezia della Rovere who settled in Frascati town begin to have a new look. In 1527 a horde of Lanzichenecchi, after having sacked Rome, headed Frascati, arrived in the suburbs to a capital consecrated to the Virgin Mary present at an intersection; the soldiers changed direction and the city was saved. This fact still remains in the memory of the inhabitants that for gratitude built a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the church of Capocroce. In 1538 Pope Paul III gave to Frascati the title of "Civitas" with the name of "Tusculum Novum" and created a new fortified walls. The first railway built by the state of the Church, the railway was inaugurated Frascati Rome during the reign of Pope Pius IX on July 5, 1856. During the Second World War, September 8, 1943, Frascati, seat of the German command, was heavily bombed: Boeing 130 American B-17, better known as Flying Fortresses, dropped 1,300 bombs.
The VillasThe town of Frascati has in its territory and around it a dozen villas built over a century starting from 1545, due to political and social status symbol of the Roman aristocracy and the papal court. The special feature common in all villas is the main facade faces Rome.
Villa Torlonia: built in 1563 became the Torlonia in 1841. The villa was destroyed during the bombings of September 8 today remains only the park, created by the Borghese, municipal property. Feature is the waterfall built in 1600 by a large fish pond located in the highest part, the gushing water coming down in tanks sloping, framed by staircases, ending in a larger fountain. The Ludovisi completed the grand fountain with the "Theatre of water", a long wall with niches and pillars decorated with statues and vases. In the nineteenth century the Italian garden was replaced by rows of trees that still create a dense network of paths.
Villa Lancellotti: created as a home for the sick brothers and holy Philip blacks went to enlarge the villa after donations to the brotherhood to the death of the saint. Today the villa is still owned by the family Lancellotti. The green frame was characterized by a vineyard and only with the transformation of the function of the villa designed the Italian garden.
Villa Aldobrandini: Villa Belvedere, then Aldobrandini, is that, between the villas Tuscolane, is displayed in all its grandeur and beauty to the elevated position and privileged than the other. It is almost become the symbol of all the old houses that dot the area tuscolano. After several changes of ownership, the property passed to the Aldobrandini, who are still the owners. The building, visible from a considerable distance, stands below the Tusculum on a beautiful backdrop characterized by oaks, pines and beautiful old plane trees. During the Second World War the house was damaged by bombing and Aldobrandini endeavored to an impressive work of restoration. Contribute to the spectacle of all the wonderful Water Theatre, the oldest among the various nymphs featuring Tusculum. To visit the gardens open to the public Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 18:00.
Villa Falconieri: The first Tusculum in 1628 became the owner family falconers. In 1905 a Prussian baron bought the villa deputandola to one of the meeting places of the German intellectuals of Rome, later donated Prussian Emperor Wilhelm II. In 1918, after the outcome of the First World War the Italian government confiscated the villa, which, after a restoration, was assigned to the CEDE, European Centre of Education, who is still the owner. The building was implanted on the remains of a Roman villa. Currently the structure is transformed as it was at the behest of the falconers, that, probably, the task entrusted to Borromini, the old building was incorporated into the new. In 1943 and in 1944, following the bombing, the villa was heavily damaged and partially destroyed. Impressive restoration works have returned to the splendor Borromini.
Villa Tuscolana: step built in 1564 to the Jesuits in 1740, who turned it into a convent following changes and passes to step lancellotti the villa until 1966 and then to the Salesians, is now used as a hotel. The villa is set on a plateau and is bounded by an Italian garden. The complex was surrounded by woods but when the villa was transformed, even the frame plant was altered through the creation of a nymph and a fountain clamshell.
Villa Sora: The original building was probably in 1600, now it belongs to the Salesians. In 1944 bombing devastated part of the villa which today remains a few environments. Of great interest are the frescoes of the main hall, called improperly "Sala Zuccari."
Villa Belpoggio: The Villa was built around 1570 by Monsignor Ottaviano Vestri. The bombings of the Second World War completely destroyed the villa, only plant the garden, now owned by the city, still it retains some traces of what once was characterized as complex and beautiful green setting of an ancient house.
Villa Mondragone: the largest of the Tusculum built in 1576 knows its maximum splendor and fame during the Renaissance has always been a reference point for the science technology knowledge and its dissemination. In 1609 the Villa has taken reference to the remark by the Janiculum. In 1865 the villa became a Jesuit college and since 1981 is owned by the University Tor Vergata.
Museum TuscolanoThe collection of artifacts from the Museum Tuscolano, located on the ground floor of the Scuderie Aldo brandini - a seventeenth-century building recently renovated by Massimiliano Fuksas - is one of the few historical collections of the province of Rome.
The visit, chronological and thematic referable mainly at the time republican and imperial ends in the historical-artistic section, which displays ten models Tusculum, near several antique and precious. The most consistent core of the collection is characterized by a number of materials found at Tusculum, including those recently identified in the Forum and the Theatre by the Spanish School of History and Archaeology.
Among the findings, it highlights the urns with inscriptions related to the family of Rabirii, the IV-III century BC, the bottom of a huge statue where Paul Moreno acknowledged Aphrodite Urania, type Cyrene, dating from 50 BC Of great interest it is also an archaic statue of Dionysus with a panther, the second century. C. and a votive clay fragment with the depiction of a young man from the Augustan age.
Castel GandolfoFamous for being the summer residence of the popes, the city overlooking the lake was the site of Alba Longa, here the Emperor Domitian built a splendid villa, a few ruins can be seen in the gardens of the papal palace. < br> The Papal residence attached to the villas and Cibo Barberini was built on the old castle and then be completed by Bernini that project also the square below.
The name of the town of Castel Gandolfo "is commonly done to derive from the Latin" Castrum Gandulphi " , name of the castle on this site presumably owned by the family of Gandolfi.
At the entrance of the French soldiers in Rome Albano established the Republic albanense, affiliated with the Roman Republic, together with Frascati, Marino and Velletri. In this situation, Castel Gandolfo It was joined to the municipality of Albano, but then castellans rose up against the French along with other inhabitants of the Castelli Romani. The counter-revolutionaries were defeated by the French allied with the Marines and Frascatani remained loyal to France, the Battle of Castel Gandolfo, in following which the French sacked the Papal Palace.
NemiThe name comes from the forest, in Latin nemus located near the lake, located on a rocky outcrop overlooking Lake Nemi is one of the most active centers of the Castelli Romani. The center of the village, of medieval appearance characterized by a maze of narrow streets dotted with towers, is held around the Palazzo Ruspoli, one of the most beautiful in the area, surrounded by a beautiful garden terrace and enriched inside with magnificent frescoes that decorate the salt.
One of the most interesting moments in the history of Nemi is to be traced back to the imperial age when Calligola, built right on the lake, two gigantic ships for the celebration of sacred rites to the goddess Diana, their existence no author had reported news, only the recovery of the artifacts are fields dating back to Roman times. There were four attempts to bring back the ships but only in 1927 were excavated and placed in a specially built museum but in 1944 a fire, perhaps by the retreating German troops, destroyed everything and now we only have models in the museum ships of Nemi.
ExcursionsHiking or biking. There are numerous excursions that can be done on foot. The routes in the Castelli Romani are different, ranging from Mount fairy Tuscolani in Monti, one of the lakes it comes to routes of interest both naturalistic and archaeological which let you admire the beauty of the Castelli. For the most trained mountain biking are the route from Frascati in Rocca Priora and the tour of the lakes Albano and Nemi. It starts from the Appia Antica, and then along the way up to the Lakes Castel Gandolfo, is down to Nemi where you go back towards Albano and Marino. Easier path that goes from Tusculum to Frascati and from there to Pratoni del Vivaro.
AdviceCastles are always mentioned as a place of delight for food lovers. The woods are full of mushrooms and chestnuts and the ground, covered in many places by vineyards producing excellent wines DOC by well-known names in the world: Frascati, Marino, Colli Albani, Colli Lanuvini Velletri Castelli Romani.
Also of note is the olive oil in particular in the area of Velletri and Lariano, the porchetta of Ariccia, strawberries Nemi Velletri and artichokes.